Monday, March 15, 2010

My latest hobby is baking bread from scratch - no breadmaker. I've been enjoying making recipes out of two great cookbooks using the no-knead method. Well, I've never considered myself a good baker because unlike cooking usually you have to follow a recipe to the letter or the baking won't turn out right. But I just couldn't stand it so I modified a recipe and this loaf was the result. I think it's delicious. It's the soft white bread recipe (has some butter and sugar in the dough) but I substituted one cup of oat bran for one cup of the flour. I also added in a few teaspoons of vital wheat gluten that is supposed to make home-made bread fluffier and last longer on the shelf. Oh, yeah, and I also sprinkled cinnamon sugar on the top. Now that I've had success with modification I will be assuredly trying more concoctions with my bread. I'm really enjoying the bread making process but two people can only eat so much bread so I can't make as much as I'd like as often as I'd like. I've already taken several loafs to work and given one to a neighbor.

1 comment:

David Corey said...

The crust looks perfect!